Dr. Sumitesh Das specialises in Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Science. His research interests lie in Integrated Product Design, Multi-scale Materials Computing and Functional nano-materials. Dr. Das has been associated with Tata Steel since 2006, and is currently the Chief, of Global Research Programmes in Jamshedpur. He is passionate about developing economically viable and environmentally friendly technologies through Integrated Research.
- Tata Innovista Award – Promising Innovation 2009 – CoolFast H2.
- AICTE-INAE Distinguished Visiting Professorship 2009-2011.
- Tata Innovation Day Award – Dare To Try (2007): for up-scaling laboratory scale research to pilot plant level.
- INAE Young Engineers’ Award (2006): Awarded by the IndianNationalAcademy of Engineers.
- Brunton Medal (2004): Awarded by the Faculty of Engineering for original and high quality research in metallurgical and microstructural modeling.
- Sheffield Metallurgical Award (2002): Awarded by Sheffield Metallurgical Association for a paper on Computational Modelling at TMS 2002.
- Eshelby Memorial Bursary (2000-2001): Awarded by the Faculty and Senate,The University of Sheffield for novel modeling techniques.
- Tata Fellow (1999-2002): Awarded by TATA STEEL, India for doctoral studies at the University of Sheffield.
In his role, he is required to develop and manage Research and Innovation Programmes across the different centres of Global R&D.